Thursday, December 10, 2015

The Superman-Archie Bunker Crossover You Never Wanted to See


Taking a lookie-loo at Superman #245:



You know, if it doesn't work out the first time you eat a breakfast burrito, you probably should just figure they aren't for you.

And as promised, the crossover between Superman and Archie Bunker that guaranteed this issue would be quite dated in a matter of years:


I'm not sure All in the Family and Superman Comics had the same audience.  I was familiar with All in the Family because my parents watched it, and I suppose I watched it to see Archie throw temper tantrums, but that's kind of like having Angela Lansbury of Murder, She Wrote appearing in a Batman story over in Detective Comics.

On that note, it amused me when I was told that younger folks don't find Seinfeld funny.  I guess every generation has its thing.

I learned something about Krypton:



Based on this odd, self-loathing custom, I've come to the conclusion that the planet itself got so depressed from all the blubbering that it just exploded.

Anyway, it's the first appearance of Terra-Man:


I had only read one other comic with Terra-Man in it, so I can't say I was a fan.  But as you can see, any character that brings about this kind of story is aces in my book:


Yeah!  More, please!



Superman flying away from a fight, tears in his eyes.  This is the best Superman story ever!

But wait!  There's more!  There's Superman employing the rarely-seen "Super-Butt Drop":


NO ONE EXPECTS THE SUPER-BUTT DROP!

And finally, there was this:


Even Terra-Man finally has to acknowledge how silly the day has been:




This issue had an entirely separate story with the Terra-Man's origin, which was actually rather novel.  But even souped-up versions of weaponry used 100 years ago doesn't really present much of a challenge for a guy who can destroy entire planets with a glare.  I would think he would have been a good match for the Silver Age Hawkman, who used medieval weaponry to fight crime.  See, DC Comics?  You need me!

See you tomorrow!

No comments: