Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Batman's Rather Unhealthy Attachment with a Life-Sized Replica of a Woman. Not Joking.

So my last few issues of Batman have really not stood the test of time very well.  They appear to be trying really hard to distance themselves from the sci-fi silliness of the late 1950's and early 1960's by going in a direction that doesn't involve regular appearances by costumed villains and Random Ray Usage (tm!).  But different isn't necessarily better.

I give you Batman #236:


Yeah, I'm having a hard time imagining it as well, but the writers seem really determined to make handling regular criminals a challenge for Bats so we don't all fall asleep.



Who is Corrine, you ask?


Yes, Batman was talking to a mannequin.  At least, I think that's what he's saying.  I've never seen the word "mannikin" before.  I'm sure it's probably correct in some way, but I think this pretty much established how mannequins are spelled:


And frankly, if Bats is talking to mannequins, I think that's what he was kinda hoping would happen.  This version of Bats is a little too sensitive for my tastes.  I'd like to see more butt-kicking and name-taking.

Anyhoo...



Yeah!  Skeleton arm in a wedding dress!  That was a bright spot.  You don't see enough skeleton arms in wedding dresses.


Whoa, whoa, whoa!  Not everyone stays the same age like comic book characters, Bats!  Way harsh.  We all tend to age and change over a thirty year period.  Jerk.


Did Batman just break the fourth wall?  He totally did!  You don't expect that from Batman, but there it was.

Eeesh.  Let's finish with this Fun with Out of Context Dialogue! (tm!)


Because... hippies.

See you tomorrow!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

'Mannikin' is an acceptable alternate spelling of 'mannequin'. These days 'mannequin' has become the far more common spelling and 'mannikin' tends to be reserved for referring to an anatomical model.

Adam Barnett said...

I figured it was something like that. But I think the movie is pretty much the authority on all things regarding mannequins, so we have no choice but to defer to the "mannequin" spelling unless Andrew McCarthy and Kim Catrall did a movie called "Mannikin" at some point.

SallyP said...

I really do enjoy seeing Batman get hit in the head for some reason.