Monday, April 13, 2015

And There Was That Time Batman Used a Rifle

Okay, first:


That is an awesome Irv Novik cover.  Awesome.  And kudos for not ruining it with a caption box or dialog.

I'm the first to say that I've picked up a lot of things from comics over the years.  But it's usually more subtle, like learning the difference between mass and density by reading an Atom story.  But I don't know about this:



Okay, first?  Vaoof!

This a fine illustration of a law of physics, I suppose.  But way to suck all the excitement and fun out of the whole thing there, Robin.

Eeesh.  I need to see Batman fighting an owl.




There it is!  Hey, what's with the gun? 

You know, if there are going to be exceptions to the whole, "I will never use a gun because a gun killed my parents" rule, he might as well just add a holster to the old utility belt and be done with it.  This makes me root for the owl.

Oh, who am I kidding... I'll always root for the owl.

See you tomorrow!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that's a shotgun, not a rifle.

Cflmaior said...

@Unknown: It could be an English-style double-barrelled rifle (see the ramp front sight: shotguns usually employ just a bead). However, judging by the relative size of the muzzles, it appears to be a .700 Nitro Express, which would lead us to an anachronism (this caliber was marketed by H&H only 20 years after the publication date of this issue) and to the conclusion that Bats actually wasn't a firearms connoisseur: a solid 1,000-grain bullet at 2,000 fps would be an extremely poor choice against an owl.

BatmanisBw said...

"Beware the Court of Owls, that watches all the time..."

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

Adam: I have never seen that cover before. (I might have read the issue, as a kid I was always getting coverless comics for two cents each at a local drugstore.)

Those were some great covers for that era of Batman.