Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Streaky Whizzes!

Action Comics #261 is a landmark of sorts.  Not in a "Mount Rushmore" sort of way, but it's still worth noting.

Not because of this:


Yeah, give the orphans little images of yourself, Supes.  Keepin' it super-classy!

No, it's awesome because we have the first appearance of:


Streaky, the Super-Cat!

That's actually a good name for a cat like that.  I have a terrible time naming my pets.  There's so much pressure to come up with an appropriate name.  Usually, the animal is too busy getting used to the idea that s/he will be living with us (and won't be dinner) to show much personality.  So, by the time I really get to know the critter, it's already been saddled with a generic name.

Anyway, this is Streaky's awesome origin!:


I don't remember what the deal was with the chemicals, but I'm sure Linda was doing something she shouldn't have been.  She was kind of the Jan Brady of the Superman Family back in the day.

I like it!  It makes me feel tingly!


And lo, we have a Super-Cat!  Because exposure to radiation always gives you super-powers!  The government just doesn't want you to know!


This is the part where Streaky endears himself to me forever:


Good job, Streaky!  Tear apart every Superman-related thing you can find!

Streaky's first adventures are a mixed bag. You have the expected "raiding the milk truck" and "giving an unfriendly dog his come-uppance" moments, but you also get awesomeness like this:


I don't know why that tickled me, but it did.

And then there was this:


Oh, Streaky.  You are so under-utilized.  I demand a Streaky mini-series from DC, post haste.  I'm finally getting my sequel to The Incredibles, so I think this is my year.

See you tomorrow!

3 comments:

Mythell said...

My kids went through a short phase of watching Krypto the Superdog cartoon. I just assumed that the cat was made up for the cartoon. Now I know better.

Tracer Bullet said...

Streaky is totally tripping balls.

Say, shouldn't there be a bunch of super-powered earthworms and ants since that ball of radiation was sitting on the ground

MarvelX42 said...

Meow likes!