Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Fantomah Does Not Permit Her Jungle Friends to Be Shot... Although They Are Free to Kill and Eat One Another!

Dear Ones, I have work stuff for the next couple of days, so I'll see you again on Monday, okay?

But before I go...

The Fantomah post I did had some of the highest traffic I've ever had here at CMNS.  I have no idea why that was.  In tribute, I've resigned myself to leafing through the remaining copies of Jungle Comics at my disposal, but I've got to tell you, they really sanitized her over the course of the series.

As you may recall from the previous post, she would hover around like the Spectre and turn her head into a skull and whatnot.  But the later issues consist of this kind of thing ad nauseum:


Yeah, that about sums her up.  She went from being a supernatural force of vengeance to a member of Greenpeace.

Yeah, she's a "Mystery Woman of the Jungle" with some minor parlor tricks, but it's like when they turned Woody Woodpecker into a Saturday morning cartoon.

He went from this:



to this:



It's sad when things lose their edge like that.

I'll trudge through them, though.  It's not like it could be worse than Space Adventures.

Speaking of which:


Okay, you see the girl there?  She's the villain of one of the stories. Oddly enough, she has a silver appearance much like Captain Atom would when DC revived him in the 80's.

Anyway, she's the big menace, right?

Here's the big ending:


He swoops down and carries her to space without any fight at all.  And he looks as bored as I feel.:


I kid you not, that was it.  He sees her for the first time, grabs her, dumps her on an asteroid or whatever, and then goes back to get props from the President.  And you thought the ending to Mass Effect 3 was bad!

So, yeah, my standards are pretty low.  I'll get to work on these issues of Jungle Comics and see what I can find.  

See you on July 1st!

2 comments:

Smurfswacker said...

I haven't read this comic in years, but wasn't this the story where he leaves her someplace where she'll mess up the Commies?

Adam Barnett said...

If she does, she hasn't done it yet. He just kind of dumped her there and I don't think he expected anything of it. Unless he expected her to make him sandwiches. It *was* the 1960's!