Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Death Strikes and Major Stuart Drinks Heavily!

As I bid a fond farewell to Pep Comics #3, let's pay a visit to Bentley of Scotland Yard!


Don't ever hang around with Bentley.  People who hang around Bentley drop like flies.


I accuse nobody... I trust nobody... I guarantee the safety of nobody...


I told you so.

Fortunately, Major Stuart clearly sees this as a wake-up call to treasure the moments of his own life...


And Bentley discovers the killer used a knife-shooting cane to kill his victims discreetly...


... and, of course, Bentley knew exactly how to use said cane:


So, is there a training course at Scotland Yard on knife-throwing canes?  Because he sure picked that skill up in a hurry!

Check out this ad in the back cover....


I have no idea how/if this worked, but if this is an honest-to-goodness vinyl recorder, a similar device will run you about $4200 bucks these days.  I presume that for $4200, you can make an LP as opposed to a "full 3 minutes."   But it was this little bit of text that tickled me....


Well I don't know how many orchestras or radio programs only performed for three minutes, but I'm guessing it wasn't very many.  And telling me to pirate performances?  My, how times have changed.

See you tomorrow!


1 comment:

Smurfswacker said...

My dad was in the Navy in 1940 and made a Recordo record which he sent home to Mom. I discovered it in storage some time back. The record's sound quality is surprisingly good. The disc is smaller than the 78s of the time, closer to the size of a 45. It's also thinner. I presume that's because it's on vinyl rather than acetate or whatever it was the 78s used. There's an extra hole in the center for a peg that prevented the disc from slipping during recording. Apparently Dad went to a shop where you paid them to cut a record on their Recordo equipment.

It's strange hearing Dad as a young man. He died a couple of years ago but Mom is still going at 90. I offered to play her the record but she figured she couldn't handle that. So it remains among my souvenirs.