Friday, January 23, 2009

Puttin' 'Em Out to Pasture Monday!

Farewell, All-Star Comics!

Um.... don't get too comfortable, Huntress:



The Star-Spangled Kid is clearly happy to be allowed off the Titanic, Wildcat is ecstatic there is another chick for him to hit on, and the Flash has an abnormally long neck.

As you can imagine, no one noticed or cared that All-Star Comics was shown the door once again. The JSA, after a couple of mini-series and an awful launch of their own title, would finally get the treatment they deserved and enjoy a very successful title today.

Now, let us celebrate the Wisdom of the Golden-Age Robin courtesy of Fun With Out-of-Context Dialogue!(tm!):



Let's all pause for a moment to think about that. Thanks, World's Finest v1 #20!

And a nod of the nerd hat to Kirby Krackle, who are in the putting out "the first Comic Book Album." Well, since I am Adam, I have to point out that, not counting the Power Records radio serial-style albums with everyone from Spider-Man to Metamorpho, there was indeed an all-music album based on a comic book character put out 33 years ago (wow, does that make me feel old):




In fact, in the 1940's, I believe there was a Superman musical, but I don't know about the availability of the soundtrack, so that may or may not count. But the Spider-Man album, awful as it is, is available on CD! I can't say I recommend it even a little bit (unless you absolutely have to have everything David Sanborn has ever played on), but there are audio clips.

And there was that song "Nobody Loves the Hulk" that I talked about a while back. And there was another band on Myspace that had an Aquaman song called "Arthur Curry" that was pretty good. I can probably do this for pages. This is what happens when you don't apply yourself in school, kids!

So, the first? Not by a long shot. But since the first song is based on Mario Kart, they may be coming out with the first video game / comic book album. In any respect, they've obviously got some talent, and I'll be curious to see what the rest of their songs sound like when it's put up tomorrow.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

the synth solo on Dr. Octopus pt. 1 is pretty amazing (pun intended!!!).

Anonymous said...

The Superman musicial is "It's a Bird It's a Plane It's Superman" and it was from the 1960s, not 40s.

Tracer Bullet said...

I remember ads giving one lucky(?) Marvel Maniac the chance to star with Captain America in a Broadway musical. Did that show ever get produced? And, if so, did it destroy the careers of all involved?

Anonymous said...

There's a song called "Chameleon Boy." With a video. I recommend it highly for insomniacs that aren't having any luck these days using either blunt instruments or their home insurance policy as quick-acting sleep inducers.

You're welcome.

-- cleome45

SallyP said...

Oh God, I remember seeing the ads in the comics for that Spider-Man album when it first came out. I AM old!

But yes, Jay and Ted DO look oddly ecstatic at the thought of hitting on Helena. If I were the Star-Spangled Kid, I'd be a little insulted.